macwright.org. Tom MacWright. Archive. RSS. The Code: Access vs. Ownership.My previous article about the inaccessibility of complete copies of the DC Code.
was read and commented on pretty widely. I hope that it was a useful introduction.to an important issue, but its evident that some of it needs more explicit explanation.
The first is the difference between access and ownership .
Quite a few people posted a link to.
Westlaws portal that gives you access to the law ,
and asked if you can get the law here, whats the problem?
The problem is that you cant have a a complete, digital, public-domain copy , despite. the code being technically and legally public domain .
The West portal is neither copyright-free or nor copyable, and West.has gone to great lengths to guarantee those things.
Since the portal has Wests copyright.embedded and a Terms of Service.that restricts automated copying, there is no other.
complete, online copy of the code. This means that.were reliant on West as the sole provider of the ...
||Alexa Rank Date
Access traffic rank of macwright.org (site position)
Server IP of macwright.org: 22.214.171.124
(hosted by Rackspace Hosting)
Domain extension: .org
(list top sites in .org (Non-Profit Organization))
govinthelab.com: Government in The Lab | From Open Data to Citizen ParticipationGovernment in The Lab
macwright.org is linking to those sites:
Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine
GitHub · Social Coding
Business Solutions & Software for Legal, Education and Government | LexisNexis
Dr. Dobb's | Good stuff for serious developers: Programming Tools, Code, C++, Java, HTML5, Cloud, Mobile, Testing
Index Page - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net
PyPy :: PyPy
Colorbrewer: Color Advice for Maps
- Tom MacWright
- The Code: Access vs. Ownership
- the inaccessibility of complete copies of the DC Code
- Westlaws portal that gives you access to the law
- the code being technically and legally public domain
- Wests copyright
- Terms of Service
- the sole provider of the code and the portal
- the constitution
- US Constitution
- National Archives
- printable constitution
- $1 pocket constitution
- copyleft images on Flickr
- download the constitution as a PDF
- The State Decoded
- public domain
- cc-by-na AJ Ashton
- composes and publishes its bills
- compiled and de-facto owned by a private contractor
- 2012 Contract with West
- well-known court case
- Literate Jenks Natural Breaks and How The Idea Of Code is Lost
- in Java and Fortran
- the Wikipedia article about Jenks natural breaks
- Alan Kay
- Bill Morris
- University of Kansas Geography Department
- library for literate, beginner-friendly statistics
- literate implementation
- dynamic programming
- the V8 engine
- 12x faster than a Python implementation
- Bill Mill points out
- few other tweaks
- other algorithms included
- just use the jenks implementation as a standalone
site visit date: 2013-03-02 10:07:44
macwright.org site information